Parenting is incredibly rewarding, but it goes without saying that it can be challenging at the same time. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed with the responsibility of teaching your little one everything from good manners to how to take care of their teeth and gums. And it’s not uncommon for parents to have a daily battle getting their kids to brush their teeth. If you’ve ever asked yourself, “How do I brush my kid’s teeth?”, reading this blog will be a big help. And the first tip for instilling good oral hygiene habits is to make it fun! Keep reading below for 5 great ways to make brushing easier and more enjoyable for your child.
5 Ways To Make Brushing Fun For Kids
- Use Small Rewards – A reward doesn’t have to be anything big. Something as simple as putting a sticker on the calendar for each day your child brushes can go a long way. Or, if they have 7 stickers at the end of the week, you can give them a small prize as further encouragement.
- Stick To a Routine – Kids of all ages respond well to routine activities. By having them brush their teeth at the same time every night, it’s more likely to become a true habit that they don’t even have to think about.
- Try a Brushing App For Kids – There are many different apps that can make brushing fun, educate kids about the importance of healthy teeth, and keep track of their progress at the same time.
- Let Your Child Choose Their Own Toothbrush – Sometimes, letting kids have a say in what’s for dinner encourages them to eat better. Similarly, letting them pick out their own toothbrush and toothpaste can make them more excited about brushing.
- Brush Your Teeth Along With Them – Kids always want to do what you do. To model good habits for them, you can always head to the bathroom to brush and floss your own teeth while they’re brushing theirs. This also gives you the added bonus of having good oral health yourself.
The Importance of Good Oral Hygiene Habits From a Young Age
As any kid’s dentist will tell you, good brushing is essential for your child to have a healthy smile. By making their oral hygiene routine more fun, it will be easier for them to establish good habits. And that will lay the foundation for great dental health, both in childhood, and as they grow into adulthood!
About the Author
Dr. Layne Benzley is an award-winning kid’s dentist and a father of four. He’s a firm believer in the importance of good oral hygiene early on and understands the struggles parents can face. To make it easier, he and his staff always provide tips that are tailored to each individual patient. If you have any questions about your child’s brushing habits, you can reach Dr. Benzley via his website.